Monday, May 30, 2011

Watermelon Cake


For our Memorial Day celebration, I was in charge of the sweets. And what says summer better than watermelon? I've seen the Betty Crocker watermelon cake, and it was my inspiration, but I did not use their recipe.


You will need:
white cake mix
oil, eggs & water per cake mix instructions
a round pan (I used a Wilton soccer ball pan)
food coloring
chocolate jimmies
frosting (I prefer to make my own but I was going for fast & easy)



Mix the cake according to directions. Then add coloring until you reach your desired shade. Then add chocolate jimmies & stir.


Bake according to your pans directions, let cool & frost. And that's it! You can see my attempts to copy the stripes of a watermelon. I just dyed my frosting a lighter shade of green, frosted it and then dyed the rest a darker green. I used a spatula to add the dark green & drag the stripes. It probably would have looked better if I had used homemade frosting.


And there you have it, Watermelon Cake! You can see that the jimmies resemble the black seeds.


I hope you had a good Memorial Day! How did you celebrate?

Linked to:

Show Me What Ya Got at Not Just a Housewife, Too Cute Tuesday at Funky Polkadot Giraffe, Talent Tuesday at Vintage Wanna Bee, Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style, Show & Tell at Blue Cricket Design, This Weeks Cravings at Moms Crazy Cooking, Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home, Weekend Bloggy Reading at Serenity Now, Show & Share Day at Just a Girl, Catch-As-Catch-Can at My Repurposed Life, Friday Favorites at Inspiring Creations

15 comments:

Emily S said...

This turned out great! I love all of the fun cakes I am seeing all over the blog-o-sphere :)

Unknown said...

Love it!
Would you be willing to link up to our weekly Playdate party at http://beneaththerowantree.blogspot.com/2011/05/playdate-link-party-everyone-welcome.html ?

Cheers,
Lori
http://beneaththerowantree.com
Come & Play!

Sarah and Jack said...

testing

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Well, this is just too much fun! So clever!

brooke said...

Love it!!! Great idea

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That is too cute. thanks for sharing this at WUW.

Debbie @ OtRD said...

Yum! That looks so good!
(stopping by from Serenity Now)

Kelli W said...

What a fun cake! I love the way you mixed the icing to look like a real watermelon:)

Shannon said...

I love this!! So adorable and looks delicious. I bet it was complete hit at the Memorial Day party :)

Paula@SweetPea said...

Adorable! This would be perfect for a summer party or picnic!

Jessica said...

Super creative and cute! I love your site. I am your newest follower.

I found your site through Blue Cricket Design. Feel free to check out my blog here: www.utahcountymom.com and become a follower too!

@pril said...

This looks really good. Any child would want to eat it! Thanks for sharing.

I featured this on my blog: http://koolbeenz-blog.blogspot.com/2011/06/wonderful-watermelon-wednesday.html

Jenn Erickson said...

I love how the jimmies mimic the look of the watermelon seeds! So clever!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

looks too yummy! thanks for sharing @ catch as catch can. "catching" you this week,
gail

Jessica@SewHomegrown said...

That's really cute! I'll be linking today in my Follower Fridays on Facebook. Thanks for following Sew Homegrown :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...